The man needs no introduction. He is a legendary in running strides. Here are 10 Things you probably did not know about Olympian Kipchoge Keino.
1. He is the first recipient of the Olympic Laurel award at the Rio Olympics Opening Ceremony. His award was an honour to him as an Olympian and to Kenya as a country.
2. He is a legendary middle-distance runner. He is an outstanding sportsman and a 2-time Olympic gold medallist.
3. He spent 11 years as a sportsman for 11 good years. H began his successful career in 1962 and retired in 1973.
4. He is 76 years old… and still doesn’t look a day past 50.
5. Currently, the Olympian continues his amazing work as Chairman of the Kenyan Olympic Committee (KOC).
6. Keino has successfully opened a children’s home, which is today home to almost 100 Kenyan orphans.
7. He has also opened the Kip Keino Primary School & the Kip Keino High Performance Training Centre, welcoming the most promising athletes in Kenya.
8. He was brought up by his aunt, following the death of both his parents.
9. He is married to wife, Phyllis Keino and together, they have a son called Martin Keino, who was a two-time NCAA champion and highly successful pace-setter.
10. He has participated in a total of 4 Olympic Games: Twice in Mexico City and twice in Munich, Germany.