International Podcast Day: Kenyan Podcasts to Listen to
Podcasts have fundamentally changed the way people consume audio, and for that reason, we celebrate on September 30: here’s to International Podcast Day!
In honour of #IPD2020, here are Kenyan Podcasts to listen to:
Sex and Relationships: The Spread
Hosted by former radio personality Kaz Lucas, this podcast discusses all the sex topics you never had the guts to bring up in everyday conversations. Nothing is taboo. Listeners can call in to discuss their relationships and how to find love as a millennial. Guests have included sexologists, marriage counselors and even escorts! If you’re looking for something salacious, this is it.
Masculinity: Just another Male Podcast
Just another male podcast is a fortnightly podcast that focuses on the everyday Kenyan man. It is hosted by funnyman Martie and social media personality Chege. JAMP, as it’s popularly known, lets the listener in on what it’s like being a young Kenyan man in contemporary society. Everything is up for discussion. From careers to politics to the old age question: Does size matter?
Nomusa and Adedana are two Kenyan ladies based in the diaspora. However, their weekly podcast is all about African women and more specifically, Kenyan women. Topics are feminist-related. Everything from relationships, education, and workplace dynamics to light-hearted topics like fashion and partying are up for discussion. This dynamic duo also invites listeners to join the chat. If you’re all about women empowerment, this is the podcast for you. Enjoy!
Politics: The Elephant
The Elephant is a political platform for engaging citizens to reflect, re-member and re-envision their society by interrogating the past, the present, to fashion a future.
The Human Experience: Legally Clueless
Legally Clueless is a weekly podcast by Kenyan media personality and social activist Adelle Onyango. She documents her raw human journey as an evolving unapologetically African woman. The podcast is a space where people get to know just how okay it is to not know or not have it all figured out.
How to Find Podcasts
Listening to audio programmes, or podcasts, is simple if you have access to the internet. You just need to find a podcast platform or app that suits you and then sample some of the many thousands of podcasts made around the world. Most podcasts are free to access and are available via many different apps.
On a website
The simplest way to listen to podcasts is on a web browser like Chrome, Safari or Microsoft Edge. You can do this from a computer or from the web browser on your phone.
- Find a website that has podcasts you like.
- Find the player on the page, check your device’s sound is switched on and click play to listen to the podcast.
On your iPhone or iPad
If you have an iPhone you can use the Apple podcasts app to listen to podcasts.
- The Podcasts app should already be downloaded on your phone so search your apps for ‘Podcasts’. If it’s not, go to the app store and download it.
- Open the Podcast app and go to the search page (click on the magnifying glass button in the navigation at the bottom).
- A search box should appear at the top, next to another magnifying glass icon. Tap on this and type in the name of the podcast you want to find eg: “Guardian Books”. Hit “enter” on your keyboard.
- Choose the podcast you want from the search results and tap on it. This should take you to the podcast’s homepage.
- Once you’re on the podcast homepage you’ll see a list of recent episodes. Tap on one to play it.
- If you like what you hear, a subscribe button at the top of the page lets you subscribe for free. This means the app will automatically download the latest episodes to your library.
On your Android phone
If you have an Android phone you can use the Google podcasts app.
- Search “Google podcasts” in the play store app or click this link on your phone to open it in the store.
- Install the app.
- Once you open the app, use the search box (look out for the magnifying glass icon) and type in the name of the podcast you want to find eg: Football Weekly.
- Choose the podcast you want from the search results and tap on it again. This should take you to the podcast’s homepage.
- Once on the podcast homepage you should see a list of most recent episodes. Tap on one to play it.
- If you like it, tap the subscribe button at the top of the page. When you subscribe to a podcast, it’ll appear at the top of the Google podcasts app, and a new section in the app will let you know about new episodes from podcasts you’ve subscribed to. You should also be able to listen to podcasts from the Google search app, just search for the name of the podcast.