Gossip Girl To Get Reboot at HBO Max
XOXO Gossip Girl is back! Warner Media’s upcoming streaming service HBO Max has ordered 10 hour long episodes of the popular former CW show that starred Blake Lively.
Quantico producer Joshua Safran, who is also the series writer and executive producer of the original Gossip Girl, is running the project. The new show is based on the books by Cecily von Ziegesar. The show’s descriptor says, “Eight years after the original website went dark, a new generation of New York private school teens are introduced to the social surveillance of Gossip Girl.”
According to Deadline, the reboot will address just how much social media — and the landscape of New York itself — has changed in the intervening years. It will follow a new group of Manhattan’s elite rich kids. Details haven’t been released yet about the cast and the expected air date. Gossip Girl ran for six seasons from 2007-2012. It was as much of a fashion phenomenon as HBO’s Sex and The City. The show which focused on Upper East Side high schoolers and their mysterious lives has something of a cult status.
Fans were unimpressed by the announcement with many of them saying that they don’t want the new show unless it has the original cast: Blake Lively, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, Leighton Meester and Ed Westwick. Kristen Bell served as the voice of Gossip Girl, the narrator.
“No one’s ever asked me,” Leighton Meester told E! News about a return to the show earlier in 2019.
Gossip Girl simply would not have been Gossip Girl without Blake Lively, Leighton Meester and Ed Westwick, it is an absolute INSULT to cast anyone else as their part.
End of discussion https://t.co/z885yR7d4w
— Jude (@judefxrbes) July 18, 2019
— gingerbreadprincess (@gingerbreadpri1) July 18, 2019