Expat in Kenya? Get a Driver’s license in these easy steps
If you’ve recently moved to Kenya and you’d like to get your Kenyan driving license, these are the steps:
Create NTSA Transport information management Portal.
- First, you’ll need to open an e- citizen account before you can access the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) portal. It’s pretty easy to create. You’ll fill an e-form with your basic details.
- Once done with the e-ciziten account, you will now be able to login to the NTSA portal. Click on Transport Integrated Management System (TIMS).
- A registration form will pop up. Fill it and log in.
Conversion of Foreign Driver’s license using TIMS
Hold on! For you to convert your foreign driving license to a Kenyan one, you must be the holder of a valid driving license for that class of motor vehicle granted by a competent authority in a member country of the Commonwealth and be over the age of 18. Fit the bill? Good. Let’s go to the next steps after logging in to your TIMS account:
- Once you have logged in, select the National Transport and Safety Authority tab and then click on the make application tab.
- Click the (plus sign) on the driving licence application then click on Conversion of Foreign License application.
- Fill in the required details which include:
(a) Equivalent Vehicle classes as on your foreign License
(b) Full names
(c) Residential Address
(d) Telephone Number
(e) Email Address
(f) Postal Address
(g) Driving license country of Issue of foreign License
- After reviewing the details and you are satisfied that the information you have given is accurate, then click submit.
- A fee of Ksh 750 is charged for the process. Instructions of payment will be generated automatically and provided online. Modes of payment include mobile money and debit transfers.
- After you have paid and submitted a successful application, you will able to download and print your paid invoice from the payments menu.
Pay NTSA a visit
Remember when NTSA asked for your contact details? You will receive a notification when to visit the NTSA offices, at the Hillpark Building, Upperhill in Nairobi to collect your new driver’s license and complete the application process. You should present the following documents to the NTSA offices.
(a) Original passport and copy
(b) Original foreign driving license and copy
(c) Foreigners certificate
(d) Work Permit/ Dependant pass
(e) two passport Photographs
(f) e-Citizen Payment invoice
It’s advisable to report at their office early in the morning. It can get really overwhelming past noon.
Personal Details Confirmation.
You’re now at the NTSA desk. The NTSA agent will ask you to log in to your NTSA portal. They will confirm your personal details to match the ones in the system. Just to make sure there’s no monkey business, you might have to take a simple driving test at the NTSA compound.
Pay for your license
That Ksh750 you paid earlier was for the registration forms. Now that NTSA has established that you’re a competent driver, You’ll need to pay Ksh 3000 for your smart driving licence via Lipa na M-pesa.
Just make sure you have at least Ksh 110 extra in your phone to cover the service fee and transaction costs. The NTSA pay bill number is 206 206.
Once payment is done, you will be issued a receipt.
Capture Bio-metrics and signature
Before you leave the NTSA office to await your license, they will capture your biometrics in their system and make copies of your passport photo and digital signature.
Get your Digital Driving License
Once you have completed the process above, it will take five working days for your Digital Driving licence to be ready. NTSA will send you a notification to let you know when to collect your license in person at their offices. Yay!
Need to ask more questions? Here are NTSA Contacts
Phone : 0709 932 000
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org