Earth Day 2020: What You Can Do to Save the Planet
Half a century ago, the first Earth Day was held in America. 50 years later, this annual day unites millions of eco-conscious people worldwide drawing attention to the environmental challenges facing our planet. With Coronavirus spreading around the world and dominating conversations, let’s not forget climate change is still in action. Most of us might be stuck at home but there are still things you can do to help the environment.
- Make a compost pile at home will help you use kitchen scraps (reducing waste) and add nutrients to your soil.
- Plant some shade trees to help cool your house naturally when it gets hot. Seedlings can be delivered to you by KEFRI.
- Plant an organic vegetable or herb garden in your garden. Not only is it good for the soil, It’s good for your plate too
- Now that it’s raining, create a rain barrel to collect water for watering your garden. (check local ordinances first).
- Recycle what you deem as ‘trash’. You’ll be surprised at how much you can save.
- Now that most of us are stuck at home, it’s prudent to save water and energy. Switch off unnecessary lights, don’t let the shower run, reduce screen time.
- Need to step out real quick for supplies, if you’re shopping in your neighbourhood-ditch the car. Walk or use a bike.
- Mix up some earth-friendly cleaning solutions to replace the commercial products that you have in your cabinet.