Body Piercings: What you need to Know and Where to Get Them in Nairobi
You’ve probably seen piercing aficionados adorn their chic, sometimes shocking piercings and thought to yourself…hmmm, I wonder how I’d look with a navel piercing.
Maybe you’ve heard rumours of piercings being therapeutic and you want to confirm or maybe you just want to gift yourself an eyebrow piercing for your birthday. Whatever your reasons for considering a piercing, please don’t let it be impulsive. Not to scare you, but this is not child’s play.
What you need to know
- It is possible to receive/spread an infection if the piercing equipment hasn’t been sterilized properly. NEVER get a piercing that wasn’t sterilized first!
- Infections caused by bacteria getting into the puncture of the piercing can happen later, even after the piercing has healed. Prevent this by cleaning your piercing and area at least twice a day.
- If the studio uses a piercing gun to do body piercings, LEAVE! Piercing guns cannot be sterilized and should NOT be used for body piercing.
- You can have an allergic reaction to the certain kind of jewelry used. (More information on different types of jewelry listed below.)
- Bleeding may happen from the piercing.
Healing Time for Different Kinds of Piercings
- Ear Lobe 4-6 weeks
- Ear Cartilage 3-6 month
- Tongue 4-6 weeks
- Eyebrow 9-12 weeks
- Nose 2-4 months
- Lip 2-3 months
- Nipple 3-6 months
- Navel (Belly Button) 9 months – 1 year
Different Kinds of Jewelry
- Stainless Steel: The most common used. Least likely to produce an infection in the skin.
- Gold: Costs more than stainless steel. it tends to wear away easily and it can chip with even the slightest contact of the body. Some people have difficulty with gold jewelry piercing because it contains “nickel”—a metal that many people are allergic to.
- Titanium: Cost more than stainless steel. Can be used for new piercings. Titanium is usually used for surgical implants inside the human body. It’s recommended that titanium jewelry be polished often to reduce the “porosity” it may take a toll in the skin.
*Silver has an oxidation property that makes it harmful for body piercing, particularly when a piercing is healing. Not only does it rust easily but also reacts very easily and can cause severe reactions. Not ideal for fresh piercings.
How to Properly Clean Your New Piercing
- Always wash your hands before touching or cleaning your piercing. This is hard to remember, but any sort of bacteria that you may have on your hands could really mess with your piercing.
- Clean any dirt off the area and from the jewelry with warm water.
- Gently wash the area around the piercing with a mild liquid antibacterial soap every day. There is also a sea-salt piercing cleanser that is sold at your average department store.
- Never use a towel on your new piercing. Towels are often full of bacteria. Instead, use napkins or a paper towel or a cotton ball.
- Repeat steps 1-4 twice a day. Overdoing it or under-doing it may irritate the area.
- Since every new piercing needs air, never use an anti-ornament on it. Anti-ornaments block air from getting through.
- Never use hydrogen peroxide as it can irritate healing tissue.
Where to Get them Done in Nairobi
*Remember, there’s a raging pandemic outside so be very careful where you choose to get your piercing done. Make sure they maintain the highest standards of hygiene.
Body Shock Tattoos & Piercings
They claim to be “The most progressive body modification studio in East & Central Africa”. They’ve been in business for two decades now. Located on the first floor of Yaya Centre, Body shock offers an array of body piercings and accessories. Prices start from Ksh 1000 Call +254 722666221 to book an appointment
Barry Arts Studio
Located on Mpaka road Westlands. They offer free piercings for accessories purchased at their shop. Prices range from Ksh 500- 5000. Call +254 723 144970
Knights Tattoo & Piercing Parlour Kenya
Located along Moi Avenue. They also offer house calls. Prices range from Ksh 1000-5000. Call +254714667041
Kenya Tattoos & Piercings
Located on the first floor of Interfina house Ronald Ngala street. They offer house calls and sell accessories. Call +254 712 531252
All professionals under this platform offer house calls. Follow this link and get a 10% discount on your first booking
*Image: Rihanna Onedio